You don’t want to go to Copenhagen for various hours to understand why the Danes are a number of the happiest individuals on the earth. The town has so many issues going for it — a mixture lovely previous and state-of-the-art structure, an excellent meals scene, loads of sights and museums, tons of espresso outlets, a energetic craft beer scene, loads of tradition, numerous purchasing, a superb biking tradition, and pleasant locals (who all appear to talk wonderful English). On this Copenhagen Journey Information, we’ll cowl every little thing you have to find out about visiting this pretty Scandinavian metropolis.
- 1 Day by day Prices To Go to Copenhagen
- 2 How Lengthy to Go to Copenhagen: Three-Four Days
- 3 Copenhagen: The Good & Not-So-Good
- 4 When To Go to Copenhagen
- 5 Copenhagen’s Neighborhoods
- 6 Greatest Hostels & Motels in Copenhagen
- 7 Issues To Do In Copenhagen
- 8 Hip & Cool Copenhagen
- 9 Meals, Alcohol, and Espresso in Copenhagen
- 10 Biking In Copenhagen
- 11 Getting Round Copenhagen
- 12 Extra Useful Journey Assets
Day by day Prices To Go to Copenhagen
Hanging out at Nyhavn (New Harbor)
The dangerous information is that Copenhagen (together with all of Scandinavia) is dear. It’s straightforward to drop a ton of money in the event you’re not cautious — particularly on meals, alcohol, and lodging. From our estimates, finances vacationers will spend round $60-$100/day (395DKK- 655DKK) however you possibly can simply spend much more should you keep in a lodge, have a pleasant meal, or knock again a couple of beers/cocktails. All through this information, we’ll recommend some budget-friendly suggestions however you need to nonetheless plan on spending greater than you may in different elements of Europe. You possibly can view our Copenhagen Day by day Worth Information for extra in-depth value particulars.
How Lengthy to Go to Copenhagen: Three-Four Days
We advise spending a minimum of three full days in Copenhagen — nevertheless it’s additionally a terrific metropolis for a weekend getaway in the event you’re brief on time. That stated, we felt that three or 4 full days is sufficient time to get a style of the town however you may need to add a number of days if you wish to do a couple of of Copenhagen’s in style day journeys.
Copenhagen: The Good & Not-So-Good
We all the time like stating the belongings you’ll actually love concerning the metropolis and a couple of of the belongings you won’t like so you could have a greater concept of what to anticipate when visiting Copenhagen.
- Compact Metropolis: Copenhagen is compact so it’s a really manageable metropolis — particularly should you’re snug on a motorcycle. There’s additionally a reasonably good metro system (that’s presently being expanded however the completion date retains being pushed again). That stated, we walked nearly in all places with none points.
- Hygge: You’ll be able to’t go to Copenhagen with out listening to about Hygge — which is a Danish phrase that roughly interprets into feeling cozy. The phrase is definitely extra nuanced than that however a lot about Copenhagen is cozy (a lot of candles, dim lighting, snug chairs, heat blankets, spending time with associates, and so forth.)
- Bike Pleasant: There are extra bikes than individuals in Copenhagen so nearly everybody who lives within the metropolis rides a motorcycle virtually every day. It’s enjoyable to lease a motorcycle because it enables you to discover a ton of floor shortly — plus, nearly each street has devoted bike lanes so driving is straightforward.
- Nice Meals: Copenhagen has been a hotbed of foodie tradition for a couple of years. In reality, it has 15 Michelin Star eating places. And when you won’t have the ability to afford a Michelin Star meal, this foodie tradition has spawned quite a few fashionable and reasonably priced eating places.
- Hip Neighborhoods: We love that Copenhagen has a couple of tremendous fashionable and up-and-coming neighborhoods which are filled with nice eating places, wonderful bars, and funky unbiased outlets — they usually’re all inside strolling distance of the town middle. So do your self a favor Kødbyen (Meatpacking District), Vesterbro and Norrebro districts.
- Craft Beer Scene: Copenhagen is arguably Europe’s craft beer capital. Probably the most well-known microbrewery is Mikkeller and you will discover a number of bars round city that serve an everchanging number of 20-40 Mikkeller beer on faucet (and much more in bottles/cans). There are additionally loads of different smaller native microbreweries so that you gained’t go thirsty.
- Nice Summers: Whereas the winters in Copenhagen is perhaps lengthy and wet, the summers can’t be crushed. As soon as the solar comes out and the temperatures stand up all of the locals come out in full drive to benefit from the climate. The parks are full of individuals having fun with a couple of beers and the locals flock to the canals to benefit from the water — don’t be stunned to see individuals skinny dipping.
- English Talking Locals: The Danish individuals are a few of the best-educated individuals in Europe and nearly everybody speaks English fluently.
- The Water: The canals and seashores of Copenhagen are a lot beloved by its residents so numerous leisurely actions revolve across the water. You possibly can lease a ship in the course of the summer time, take a water cruise, take a dip within the canals, or head to the seashore.
- Espresso Tradition: Copenhagen has an ideal espresso tradition so that you’ll discover cozy espresso outlets serving up wonderful high quality joe throughout the town (we listing a couple of of our favorites later on this article).
- Consuming Outdoors: You’re free to drink alcohol in public so seize a beer from a comfort and head to any park, sq., or canal to take pleasure in your brewskis al fresco.
The Not-So-Good Good
- Costly: Copenhagen is dear. There actually isn’t any approach to keep away from that.
- Aggressive Cyclists: Biking is a lifestyle for the Danes they usually take it very significantly — don’t get of their approach otherwise you’ll get an earful. So take note of the bikes lanes as a result of it’s straightforward to unknowingly wander into them.
- Chilly, Wet, & Darkish Winters: The winters in Copenhagen could be fairly bleak, overcast, and wet. The times are brief so it will get darkish round Four pm. That stated, the town does have a variety of Christmas markets so it’s a festive place across the holidays.
When To Go to Copenhagen
Winter vs Summer time
Aside from the crowds and elevated lodging costs, it’s onerous to seek out something unfavorable about visiting Copenhagen in the summertime. The temperatures are good, individuals flock to the town’s a number of parks, canals, and seashores, and the sidewalk cafes are full of individuals having fun with life. Plus, the times are lengthy in the course of the summer time so it doesn’t get darkish till round 10 pm.
Copenhagen doesn’t get a lot snow within the winter nevertheless it does are typically overcast and drizzly. Temperatures are usually within the mid-30s or low-40s — so it doesn’t get tremendous chilly nevertheless it’s fairly damp and windy. The times are brief so it’s darkish round Four pm.
However the metropolis additionally reaches peak Hygge so everybody heads to the bars and eating places to get additional cozy. The town can also be very festive and adorned for Christmas. There are a handful of Christmas markets and the Tivoli Gardens Amusement Park is totally adorned for the vacations.
You’ll want to gown correctly. Take a look at these useful articles:
Fall / Spring
Copenhagen begins popping out of its slumber from late-March to Might. The temperatures are typically within the low 40s to excessive 50s so it gained’t be heat however it’s a cushty temp for exploring the town. Rain continues to be widespread however March and April are typically a number of the least wet months of the yr.
The climate begins cooling down in later September and October however it will possibly nonetheless be a pleasant time to go to because the vacationer crowds begin scaling down.
Copenhagen has numerous distinct neighborhoods that we well-worth testing. On this part, we’ll give a quick overview of the preferred neighborhoods to provide you a basic vibe of the world.
Copenhagen Metropolis Middle
Metropolis Middle [See on Google Maps]
Additionally referred to as Indre By (Internal Metropolis), Copenhagen’s metropolis middle is the place you’ll discover a whole lot of the town’s most important sights and museums (Tivoli Gardens, Nyhavn, and so on), tons of eating places, bakeries, the Strøget pedestrian-only purchasing streets (with all the most important shops/outlets), and extra. Naturally, that is the place a lot of the guests keep/go to so that you’ll need to cope with the vacationer crowds however you’re tremendous shut to only about all the things.
Vesterbro / Meatpacking District (Kødbyen)
Meatpacking and Vesterbro Neighborhoods [See On Google Maps – Vesterbro & Kodbyen]
The Vesterbro neighborhood has historically been a barely seedy space and residential of Copenhagen’s purple mild district. Today, you’ll nonetheless see a handful of strip golf equipment, grownup shops, and perhaps a number of prostitutes however you’ll additionally discover numerous tremendous cool bars, pubs, eating places, craft beer bars, cocktail bars, and boutique outlets. Sure, gentrification has set in so the world is completely protected.
The Kødbyen (aka the Meatpacking District) can also be situated in the midst of the Vesterbro. Over the previous few years, the warehouses of the Meatpacking district have been transformed right into a cluster of a few of the hippest and most-loved bars, eating places, espresso outlets, and nightclubs in Copenhagen. It’s a serious spot for nightlife so through the summer time you’ll discover tons of individuals out and about.
You’ll discover primarily fashionable locals and in-the-know vacationers on this neighborhood so that is the place to remain if you wish to rub elbows with Copenhagen’s younger and hip crowd.
Norrebro [See on Google Maps]
The Norrebro neighborhood has historically been residence to lots of Copenhagen’s immigrant and working-class inhabitants however it’s now house to artists, college students, working professionals, and other people interested in the superb nightlife, unbiased outlets, craft beer scene, top-notch espresso, and the world’s youthful power. Not plenty of vacationers enterprise into the neighborhood so it’s a pleasant place to remain if you wish to get a bit extra genuine native and culturally numerous vibe.
Christianshavn Neighborhood [See On Google Maps]
Christianshavn is a neighborhood made up of some small islands and houseboat-lined canals (it has a little bit of an Amsterdam vibe). It’s a classy a part of the town and residential to some of the town’s greatest (and costliest) eating places and the spectacular new opera home.
The Freetown Christiania
Freetown Christiania [See On Google Maps]
Inside Christianshavn you’ll discover the small hippy city/commune referred to as Freetown Christiania. It’s residence to round 1,000 residents who reside and work in their very own insular group that began as a squatted army barracks again in 1971. The city is technically underneath Danish regulation however they nonetheless self-government themselves and have their very own guidelines/legal guidelines.
Christiania is most well-known for it’s “Pusher Road” — a road the place pot is bought brazenly and freely (the police flip a blind eye). It’s a little bit of a wierd sight however you’ll be surrounded by individuals freely smoking pot as a result of Christiania attracts over 500,000 guests annually (which makes it Copenhagen’s fourth hottest vacationer attraction).
Along with the pot, you’ll additionally discover bars, eating places/cafes, meals stands, artwork galleries, espresso outlets, live performance venues, and tons of graffiti to take a look at. The individuals are usually welcoming however simply don’t take pictures on Pusher Road because the sellers don’t like that.
Frederiksberg: That is the place Copenhagen’s upper-class lives so it caters to a whole lot of upscale clientele. Right here you’ll discover high-end buying, stylish eating places, and old-school structure. Foodies ought to take a look at Parisian-inspired Værnedamsvej road. Different points of interest embrace the Copenhagen Zoo and Frederiksberg Palace/gardens. See On Google Maps.
Østerbro: Østerbro is one other quiet high-end neighborhood that’s very fashionable with households. See On Google Maps.
Greatest Hostels & Motels in Copenhagen
Metal Home Copenhagen
Copenhagen has round 20 hostels and a mattress in the preferred/greatest hostels will value anyplace from about 200 DKK-350 DKK/night time ($30-$55/night time) through the summer time. Under is an inventory our prime hostel picks however take a look at our information to one of the best hostels in Copenhagen if you’d like a extra in-depth take a look at the town’s hostel choices.
On the lookout for a price range lodge? We advocate Reserving.com as they’ve one of the best number of European resorts.
Issues To Do In Copenhagen
Copenhagen has numerous nice museums, points of interest, actions, and neighborhoods to maintain you busy for days. On this part, we’ll cowl the top-sights that you simply may need to take a look at when visiting Copenhagen.
Word: The Copenhagen Card covers nearly each attraction in Copenhagen (museums, canal excursions, bus tour, and so on.) and public transportation so that you may think about choosing one up should you plan on doing a number of sightseeing.
Copenhagen has a handful of huge top-notch museums and a number of different smaller museums so that you shouldn’t have any hassle discovering one thing to suit your tastes.
- Word: This record doesn’t embrace each museum in Copenhagen — simply our favorites. Right here is an effective record of all the town’s museums.
- Word Two: Most museums are closed on Monday.
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
The grand Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek museum is a wonderful museum that was constructed across the private artwork assortment of billionaire Carl Jacobsen (inheritor to the Carlsberg Brewery). The primary focus of the museum are sculptures from historic Egypt, Rome, and Greece. There are additionally quite a few trendy sculptures — notably from Rodin and Degas.
Moreover, the gathering additionally consists of a powerful variety of work from French impressionists and Submit-impressionists like Monet, Degas, Renoir, Van Gogh, and so forth.
And equally spectacular is the beautiful constructing and indoor Winter Backyard that options palm timber and sculptures.
Statens Museum for Kunst (Nationwide Gallery of Denmark)
Nationwide Gallery of Denmark (SMK)
The Nationwide Gallery of Denmark is Denmark’s largest artwork museum and it options over 700 years from each Danish and worldwide artwork. Naturally, given the size of time coated, this museum has a has a little bit of every thing.
The David Samling
David Assortment (Davids Sampling)
The David Samling is constructed across the personal collections of lawyer, businessman, and artwork collector Christian Ludvig David (it’s additionally housed in his former residence). Whereas it has a set of European 18th-century effective artwork and Danish Early Trendy Artwork, its declare to fame is being Scandinavia’s largest assortment of Islamic Artwork.
Danish Museum of Artwork & Design
Danish Museum of Artwork & Design
Denmark is legendary for its ornamental artwork, crafts, and industrial designs — most notably posters, chairs, style, jewellery, and home items. This can be a pretty small however nonetheless nice museum should you’re into design.
Nationalmuseet (Nationwide Museum of Denmark)
The Nationwide Museum of Denmark covers the historical past of Denmark from the Stone Age, Viking Age, Center Ages, Renaissance, and Trendy Historical past. So if you wish to study extra concerning the historical past of Denmark then you definitely’ll need to examine this out.
Danish Conflict Museum
Danish Warfare Museum
Denmark has an extended historical past of warfare and this museum covers from the 1500s till at the moment. There are tons of weapons, cannons, uniforms, mannequin ships, and extra on show. It additionally has a big particular exhibit that recreates a Danish army camp in Afghanistan — together with genuine stays of a army truck struck by a land mine.
Sights & Points of interest
Nyhavn (New Harbor)
Nyhavn is Copenhagen’s iconic 17th-century harbor lined with colourful buildings — it’s principally the spot everybody goes to take photographs. Despite the fact that it’s a serious vacationer attraction, Nyhavn nonetheless has some high quality eating places and bars. Alternatively, you are able to do just like the locals and convey your personal beer to the canal and drink outdoors.
Tivoli Gardens (Throughout The Holidays)
The Tivoli Gardens is an amusement park situated in the midst of Copenhagen and it opened means again in 1843 (it’s the second oldest amusement park on the earth). It’s not an enormous park however it has a lot of nostalgic rides (like a picket Curler Coaster from 1914) and a handful of recent rides for actual thrill seekers. Even in the event you’re not into rides, it nonetheless a enjoyable place to stroll round and benefit from the surroundings. Observe: You pay to enter after which pay for every experience.
Church of our Saviour
Two views of the Church of Our Saviour
The Church of Our Saviour is a lovely church however it’s most well-known for its towering 300-foot spire that’s wrapped in an exterior staircase that may be climbed to offer superb views of Copenhagen. It’s a little bit of a stroll to the highest so tempo your self.
The Rundetaarn, a 17th-century tower/observatory within the coronary heart of the town, is one other good spot to get an excellent view of Copenhagen. Actually, it’s Europe’s oldest working observatory and one in every of Copenhagen’s prime sights.
View from Christiansborg Palace Tower
Take a tour of this royal palace, which continues to be utilized by the Danish Royal household, and take a look at greater than a dozen spectacular totally different rooms — together with the lavish Royal Reception Rooms and Throne Room. Then make your approach to the Royal Stables to say hay to the Royal horses.
Don’t overlook to go to the Christiansborg Palace Tower (the tallest tower within the metropolis) which presents a number of the greatest panoramic views of Copenhagen — ohh, and the tower is free to go to.
Rosenborg Citadel, Treasury, & Gardens
The Rosenborg Citadel is a modest-sized however lovely 17th-century Dutch Rennisance fort that’s situated inside the metropolis. This former nation summerhouse of King Christian IV has a well-preserved inside so it’s enjoyable to discover and expertise how royalty used to stay.
Within the basement of the citadel, you’ll discover the treasury which homes some army memorabilia (muskets, swords, and so forth.) and Denmark’s crown jewels.
Moreover, the citadel is situated on very spectacular grounds with must-visit gardens (the grounds are free to go to).
Copenhagen Botanical Backyard
Copenhagen Botanical Backyard
This expansive botanical backyard is housed in an attractive glasshouse inbuilt 1874 and options a powerful array of uncommon and unique crops and a newly-opened butterfly home.
Amalienborg is the full-time residence of the Danish Royal Household — you may even see a few of the royal household out and about. You possibly can tour the Amalienborg Museum to see a number of rooms utilized by former members of the royal household. However most individuals go to to see the day by day altering of the guard at midday.
Copenhagen Opera Home
The newly-constructed Copenhagen Opera Home had an eye-watering price ticket of $500 million and was absolutely financed by the proprietor of the Maersk Delivery empire as a present to the town. It’s a powerful construction that’s value testing even in case you don’t see an opera there.
Kastellet is an previous star-shaped army fortress/Citadel construct again within the mid-1600s. It’s nonetheless a functioning army barracks and workplaces nevertheless it’s additionally a public park open to anybody. Take a stroll across the ramparts and benefit from the inexperienced area.
Different Issues To Do
Torvehallerne Meals Corridor
Torvehallerne Meals Corridor
The Torvehallerne Meals Corridor has turn out to be one in every of Copenhagen’s must-visit locations. Constructed inside two glass buildings, this meals corridor accommodates over 60 meals stands promoting every little thing from recent produce to ready meals, espresso, and dessert.
We advocate testing the next meals stands:
- Fiskerikajen: Wonderful fish and chips.
- Ma Poule: Get the well-known duck sandwich.
- GRØD: Should-try porridge. Significantly.
- Espresso Collective: Wonderful espresso.
- Hija de Sanches: Superb taco meals truck (summer time solely).
- Gorm’s Pizza: Skinny-crust pizza.
- Mikkeller & Pals Bottle Store: Bottle store with a handful of craft beers from Mikkeller and some different craft breweries.
Strøget Buying Space
Stroget Purchasing Road
Strøget is an extended car-free buying space that cuts by way of the middle of city. It’s in all probability probably the most touristy a part of city so it’s the place you’ll discover all of the worldwide chain shops and some smaller outlets. You’ll discover smaller, unbiased outlets and eating places on the aspect streets that intersect/encompass Strøget.
Canal Tour With Hey Captain
Canal Cruise with Hey Captain
Taking a tour of Copenhagen by way of a canal cruise is a singular method to expertise the town. There are a handful of canal boat tour corporations however we advocate Hey Captain if you need a small, intimate tour with a pleasant and educated information.
Hit The Water
Life in Copenhagen revolves the water — particularly in the summertime. So do just like the locals do and spend a day on the water. We advocate renting a GoBoat — which is a solar-powered boat with a picnic desk within the center and doesn’t require any license to drive.
Or take a dip to chill off! Copenhagen has numerous city seashores and waterfront swimming spots — in truth, Copenhagen was named the most effective cities for swimming. An area favourite is the outside Islands Brygge Harbour Tub.
Sauna It Up
Scandinavians love a superb sauna and the Danes are not any totally different. There’s a cool firm referred to as CopenHot which has every little thing from shared barrel scorching tubs with metropolis views to a Crusing Spa Boat.
Need a really native pool and spa? Take a look at Frederiksberg Swimming Pool & Spa — this old-school spot has swimming swimming pools, steam tub, saunas, and saltwater swimming pools. It’s reasonably priced. You’re additionally assured to see plenty of bare previous Danish individuals.
Freetown Christiania is a small hippie enclave/commune inside Copenhagen. It’s house to round 1,000 residents who reside and work inside this various group. Nearly each inch is roofed in graffiti so it’s a enjoyable place to discover. However Freetown Christiania might be greatest recognized for its “Pusher Road” — the place weed is brazenly bought by sellers. It’d really feel barely seedy nevertheless it’s ones of Copenhagen’s prime vacationer points of interest so no want to fret.
However don’t cease at Pusher Road — discover the opposite elements as properly.
Free strolling excursions of Copenhagen
Need to study extra about Copenhagen? Take a strolling tour. We often keep on with free excursions (guides work on ideas) however there are additionally a handful of paid excursions if you’d like a extra in-depth or personalised information. Free of charge excursions, we advocate testing both Copenhagen Free Strolling Excursions or Sandmans New Europe Strolling Excursions — each supply excursions every day.
Black Diamond Library
Black Diamond Library
Cease into the gorgeous Royal Danish Library, generally referred to as the Black Diamond Library, to admire the trendy structure. It’s open to the general public so be happy go inside to go searching. Moreover, you possibly can go to the roof terrace for some good metropolis views.
Need some peace and quiet? Head to the inexperienced oasis and ultimate resting place to many well-known Danes. A lot of locals head there for a run or for a summer time picnic.
Little Mermaid Statue
Perhaps probably the most overrated attraction in Copenhagen however you’re in all probability going to see it anyhow.
Amager Bakke / Copenhill (Synthetic Ski Slope)
Right here’s a bizarre one… Copenhagen constructed one of many world’s longest all-year synthetic ski slopes on prime of its new ultra-green energy plant situated on the outskirts of the town. It’s scheduled to open someday in December 2018 so it’s nonetheless tremendous new. Take a look at Copenhill’s Instagram to study extra.
Points of interest Outdoors The Metropolis
Frederiksborg Citadel (Left), Louisiana Museum of Artwork Denmark (Middle), and Kronborg Fort (Proper)
Situated about 45-minutes by way of practice from of Copenhagen, Frederiksborg Fort is a powerful early 17th-century former royal residence of King Christian IV. After you tour the palatial rooms, take a stroll outdoors to admire the expansive fort grounds and ornately manicured gardens.
Louisiana Museum of Artwork Denmark
Situated about 45-minutes by way of practice from of Copenhagen, the Louisiana Museum of Artwork showcases trendy works from 1945 to at this time. The museum has been named one of the crucial lovely museums on the planet and it’s perched on a shocking coastal sculpture backyard. The grounds present an excellent place to chill out on a pleasant summer time day.
Situated about 60-minutes by way of practice from of Copenhagen, Kronborg Fort is a powerful 16th-century citadel that was the house of William Shakespeare’s Hamlet. The citadel presents beautiful, sweeping ocean views and in the summertime you may catch actors placing on a efficiency of Hamlet.
Hip & Cool Copenhagen
NOHO Bar (left) & Bakken (proper) within the Meatpacking District
Trying to expertise the hip aspect of Copenhagen? Take a look at a couple of of the town’s most-loved hipster favourite spots:
Jægersborggade: Head to the Nørrebro neighborhood to seek out Jægersborggade — one of many hippest streets in Copenhagen. This as soon as dodgy road is now jam-packed with wonderful espresso outlets (Espresso Collective), bakeries (Meyers Bakery), ice cream (Istid) eating places (Grød), second-hand outlets, and unbiased boutiques. Additionally take a look at the neighboring space for extra fashionable buying and cafes, bars, and purchasing. See On Google Maps.
Meatpacking District: Head to the Vesterbro neighborhood and go on to the Meatpacking district is a collection of former warehouses which were transformed into a number of the metropolis’s must-visit bars, eating places, and nightlife locations. You’ll end up going again each night time to attempt all the things from burgers and tacos to BBQ and craft beer. There are additionally a handful of small artwork galleries and occasional outlets to take a look at. When you head there on a Friday or Saturday night time you’ll discover tons of individuals bar-hopping between all of the totally different hotspots. See On Google Maps.
Vesterbro and Istedgade: The Meatpacking District isn’t the one spotlight of the Vesterbro neighborhood. We advocate heading to Istedgade road and the encompassing space. Along with strip golf equipment and grownup shops, it’s additionally house to wonderful bars, eating places, and loads of unbiased boutiques. See On Google Maps.
Reffen Road Meals: Foodies ought to head out to Reffen Road Meals — a brand new waterfront road meals market situated on an previous industrial island on the sting of the town. There are over 30 food and drinks stalls serving up meals from everywhere in the world. See on Google Maps.
Dronning Louises Bridge: On a pleasant day or heat night time the locals head to this lovely bridge to hang around and drink with associates. So purchase some brews from an area comfort retailer and luxuriate in some utterly authorized outside consuming. See On Google Maps.
Need extra info on Copenhagen’s nightlife? We discovered this native’s information to Copenhagen’s nightlife to be tremendous useful.
Meals, Alcohol, and Espresso in Copenhagen
Let’s Eat & Drink!
It’s true that Copenhagen is residence 19 Michelin Stars (15 eating places) so it’s no shock that the foodie tradition is robust in Copenhagen. On this part, we’ll cowl a few of the most-loved locations to eat and drink with out spending a fortune. That stated, even the “budget-friendly” locations could be a little expensive so put together your pockets in the event you eat out typically.
Fast Look At Meals & Drink Costs:
Gasoline Grill, GRØD, Hija de Sanchez, & DOP
Copenhagen has a variety of high quality budget-friendly(ish) and mid-range locations to get a pleasant meal however there aren’t many really “low cost” eating places in Copenhagen. Listed here are a couple of of our favourite eating places:
GRØD: A number of locals informed us about GRØD and we’re glad I took their recommendation. They serve scrumptious porridge for breakfast and have savory choices later within the day. That stated, it’s a must to attempt their breakfast porridge with salted caramel, apples, and toasted almonds. So good, very filling, and fairly priced! They’ve a handful of places all through Copenhagen. See on Google Maps.
Gasoline Grill: Wonderful takeaway burger place that was advisable by a number of locals. The unique is situated at a fuel station however they’ve just lately opened a second location. See on Google Maps.
Tommi’s Burger Joint: One other tremendous well-liked spot serving wonderful burgers, fries, and beer. Situated in a hip meatpacking district. Some outside seating for the summer time. See on Google Maps.
Sporvejen: These guys have been serving up meaty burgers for over 20 years. Fairly no-frills place however the costs are truthful. See on Google Maps.
John’s Hotdog Deli: A superb and much-loved do-it-yourself hotdog place within the Meatpacking neighborhood (Anthony Bourdain favourite). Plenty of indoor and outside seating. See on Google Maps.
DOP (Den Okologiske Polsemand): You’ll discover hotdog stands throughout Copenhagen however we favored DOP. They’ve two meals carts in central Copenhagen they usually serve up reasonably priced (35DKK) natural hotdogs all day. See on Google Maps.
Hija de Sanchez: Sure, you will discover wonderful Mexican meals in Copenhagen. This scrumptious restaurant was began by a Noma-trained Mexican-American chef and has been featured on Netflix’s Ugly Scrumptious and a number of different foodie publications. They function a meals truck on the Torvehallerne Meals Market (summers solely) and a small year-round restaurant within the Meatpacking neighborhood.
Restaurant Klubben: That is the place to go for giant parts of basic do-it-yourself Danish meals at a superb worth. It’s a bit outdoors the traditional vacationer space and it’s particularly preferrred through the summer time when you’ll be able to eat of their lovely backyard. See on Google Maps.
Dalle Valle: Dalle Valle is a sequence all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant with strong costs and respectable meals. Nevertheless, they typically supply 2-for-1 offers which make consuming there very reasonably priced. Obtain their app to get entry to the offers. See on Google Maps.
Gorm’s Pizza: Skinny, crispy crust pizza in an excellent cute location. It’s not the most cost effective pizza however they’ve a reduction throughout lunch. See on Google Maps.
District Tonkin: Excellent Vietnamese meals at affordable costs. See on Google Maps.
Slice of San Francisco: The place to go for giant tasty burritos and American-style cheesecake. Costs are respectable by Copenhagen requirements. See on Google Maps.
Isted Grill: Do your self a favor and order the heavenly flæskestegssandwich — which is a fried pork sandwich. This iconic takeaway joint has been an area favourite since 1975 (particularly with late night time partiers). See on Google Maps.
Kødbyens Høker: This barely hidden place (which is an order-window and some picnic tables) serves a strong burger however the locals know to order the much-loved pork sandwich. Additionally they have a pleasant breakfast and brunch. See on Google Maps.
Kebab Spots: The kebab is a basic budget-friendly meal. Yow will discover kebab locations all through Copenhagen however a couple of of the native favorites are See on Google Maps, See on Google Maps, See on Google Maps, See on Google Maps, See on Google Maps, and See on Google Maps.
Torvehallerne Meals Corridor: With over 60 stands, the Torvehallerne Meals Corridor is a reasonably new indoor meals corridor that has taken Copenhagen by storm and it’s turn out to be one among Copenhagen’s prime points of interest. Along with recent meat, produce and flowers, there are a handful of meals stalls promoting ready meals. Word: Lunch could be very busy go early or later within the afternoon to keep away from the most important rush. See on Google Maps.
Under are a couple of widespread stalls you may need to take a look at on the Torvehallerne Meals Corridor:
- Fiskerikajen: Wonderful fish and chips.
- Ma Poule: Get the well-known duck sandwich.
- GRØD: Should-try porridge. Critically.
- Espresso Collective: Wonderful espresso.
- Hija de Sanches: Superb taco meals truck (summer time solely).
- Gorm’s Pizza: Skinny-crust pizza.
- Mikkeller & Buddies Bottle Store: Bottle store with a handful of craft beers from Mikkeller and some different craft breweries.
Reffen Road Meals: Reffen is a brand new waterfront road meals market that’s situated on the sting of the town in an previous industrial space. There are over 30 food and drinks stalls serving up meals from everywhere in the world. And whereas it’s a bit outdoors the middle, it’s nonetheless solely a 10-minute bike experience from the Nyhavn (New Harbor) or there are frequent harbor busses (bus #991 or #992). See on Google Maps.
Beer and Cocktails
Copenhagen’s Well-known Mikkeller Beer
Copenhagen has a wholesome craft beer scene, some nice bars, and various locations to get a strong cocktail. Listed here are a number of of favorites:
Mikkeller is the preferred craft microbrewery in Copenhagen — they’re well-known for partnering with different breweries throughout the globe in order that they’re all the time arising with new stuff. Inside Copenhagen, they’ve expanded/partnered with a number of eating places so you’ll find their beer at a number of totally different locations. Their beers are a bit expensive.
- Mikkeller Bar: The unique and hottest Mikkeller location and a haven for beer geeks. They often have round 20 beers on faucet and some others in cans/bottles. It’s a reasonably small bar however the staff are good. Good mixture of vacationers and locals. See on Google Maps.
- Mikkeller & Associates: One other low-key minimalist bar with 40 beers on faucet and a few outside seating. Hip neighborhood. See on Google Maps.
- Mikkeller & Pals Bottle Store: This little bar stand is situated within the Torvehallerne Meals Corridor. They’ve a reasonably good number of beer (not chilly) and some beers in a fridge. There isn’t actually any space to drink because it’s extra of a grab-n-go kinda place. See on Google Maps.
- Mikropolis: Mikkeller beers and cocktails in a small however pleasant setting. See on Google Maps.
Dive/Low cost Bars
There are nonetheless a handful of bars the place you will get low cost beer however some could be fairly janky and crowded. Additionally, smoking continues to be allowed in lots of of those bars so hold that in thoughts.
- Mesteren & Lærlingen: This dive bar is situated within the hip Meatpacking neighborhood could be very chill and low key. They’ve cool music, a superb quantity of outside area, and reasonably priced drinks. See on Google Maps.
- Eiffel Bar: This working-class dive bar has been round because the early 1700s. Plenty of locals from the neighborhood. Beer is reasonable. See on Google Maps
- Billy Booze: Least expensive alcohol in Copenhagen with drinks beginning at 10 DKK. That stated, they maintain the horrible music tremendous loud and the place is a bit trashy… however no less than it’s low cost. See on Google Maps
- Studenterhuset: This can be a well-liked bar/cafe with the native college students and it’s situated proper in the midst of city. It’s an enormous area with a lot of tables full of scholars typing away at their laptops or assembly with associates. It’s a chill place through the day and it’s a bit extra of a laidback bar scene at night time. Native college students get reductions however the costs are nonetheless affordable for everybody else. See on Google Maps
- McKluud: Who doesn’t love a Wild West themed bar? The inside principally hasn’t modified in 40 years. That stated, it’s fashionable with native college students and younger people — in all probability as a result of the beers are low cost. See on Google Maps
- Bo-Bi Bar: This cozy red-wallpapered tavern has welcomed a combined crowd of locals (younger and previous) since WWI. Cool old-school really feel. Tremendous smokey. Beer is reasonable. See on Google Maps
- Café Sommersted: This pub is a Copenhagen establishment that’s common with the locals — the regulars even nominated the proprietor, Cindy, for the title as “Copenhagener of the yr”. Drinks are affordable however they’re greatest recognized for his or her Irish espresso. See on Google Maps
Different Beer Spots
In search of one thing slightly extra unique than the usual Danish microbrews like Carlsberg, Tuborg, and Jacobsen? We received you coated… however put together to pay a bit additional.
- Nørrebro Bryghus: This cafe/restaurant is a beer connoisseur’s dream — upstairs is a restaurant and downstairs is the bar. They brew their very own beer and all the time have a wide selection on faucet. See on Google Maps.
- Kølsters Tolv Haner: A laidback beer bar with a strong number of microbrews, a fantastic environment inside and a pleasant outside area. That stated, the beers are on the costly aspect. See on Google Maps
- BRUS: This microbrewery and gastropub is an excellent chill place with good music, pleasant employees, and actually strong beers. Once more, the beers aren’t low cost. See on Google Maps
- Dia’legd: This small and comfy bar serves up microbrews from the Refsvindinge brewery on the Danish island of Funen — so the beer is generally arduous to seek out outdoors the world. This place is widespread with the locals and beers solely value round 30 DKK. See on Google Maps
- WarPigs: This Meatpacking brewpub is understood for 2 issues: Aunthetic American BBQ and beer. It’s a big area with a number of picnic-style tables, over 30 beers on faucet, and a number of slow-cooked meats (the chef is from Texas). See on Google Maps
- Fermentoren: This hole-in-the-wall bar within the Meatpacking neighborhood has a strong number of craft beers. This place has a pleasant laid again and chill vibe. See on Google Maps
- Ølbaren: Cozy bar staffed by passionate and pleasant beer geeks. They carry a number of draft beers & over 100 bottled choices. See on Google Maps
- Himmeriget: A little bit of a hidden gem that has an enormous number of craft beers (lot’s of hard-to-find bottles) for all you beer geeks. See on Google Maps
- Ørsted Ølbar: This spacious bar carries over 200 totally different beers and 20 beers on faucet. See on Google Maps
- Ølsnedkeren: This little brew bar is run by two buddies. They’re persistently brewing up new beers so the menu is ever altering. The beers are additionally reasonably priced at round 45 DKK a pint. See on Google Maps
- Taphouse: This massive bar is situated proper in the midst of city they usually have over 60 native and worldwide beers on faucet. It attracts a variety of scholars and vacationers. It’s a pretty big area so it’s good for teams however it could get busy. See on Google Maps
Fancy a well-made cocktail? Copenhagen has a handful of nice cocktail bars however you must anticipate to pay a premium.
- Curfew: Relaxed environment and a classic/retro prohibition-era membership vibe. Cool music. Cozy. Nice drinks. See on Google Maps.
- KASSEN: A relaxing out and pretty reasonably priced cocktail bar with 2-for-1 cocktails earlier than 10 pm on Friday. Down-to-Earth crowd. See on Google Maps
- Brønnum: Lovely bar. Good ambiance. See on Google Maps
- Ruby: Hip and stylish cocktail bar. It’s a bit hidden so that you may miss it at first look. Tremendous cozy. A number of the greatest drinks in Copenhagen. See on Google Maps.
- LIDKOEB: One other must-visit spot for cocktail lovers. Very hip. Good crowd of locals. It’s a bit hidden away so you’d miss it in case you didn’t realize it was there. See on Google Maps.
- NOHO Copenhagen: That is the place to go in case you want some content material for Instagram. The decorations are tremendous hip. Chilled through the day and dancing at night time. Good drinks and extremely popular with hipsters and fashionistas.
See on Google Maps.
- Bæst Cocktail Bar: Strong cocktails. Cozy environment. Centrally situated. Good music. And an Eight-10 pm completely satisfied hour with two drinks for round 100 DKK. See on Google Maps.
- The Jane: The Jane is greatest described as a ‘Mad Males-style’ cocktail bar with a number of nooks and hidden corners — assume wooden paneling, fireplaces, bookshelves, leather-based chairs, and a smoking room. And wonderful cocktails. DJs play after midnight. See on Google Maps.
Espresso Outlets and Bakeries
The Danes love being cozy so that you’ll discover loads of bakeries and a variety of fantastic espresso outlets which are good for chilling out. Right here’s an inventory of our prime picks:
The easiest way to start out your morning
Sankt Peders Straede Bageri: This widespread bakery was established in 1652 they usually’re well-known for his or her cinnamon buns. Tip: Go to Wednesday for half-price cinnamon buns however get there early for the recent, heat ones. See on Google Maps.
Meyers Bageri: One other well-liked multi-location bakery with wonderful baked items. See on Google Maps.
Andersen Bakery: This bakery is situated a bit outdoors the middle of Copenhagen however they’ve superb pastries and nice espresso. See on Google Maps.
Landbageriet: The most effective place to go for all of your vegan and gluten-free vacationers. See on Google Maps.
Lagkagehuset: Lagkagehuset is a sequence bakery however they nonetheless have strong baked items and occasional. See on Google Maps.
The Espresso Collective, Bastard Cafe, and Democratic Espresso
Bastard Café: Bastard Cafe has fairly good espresso however they’re well-known for all their board video games. It’s an enormous area with over 1000 boardgames (some free and others you lease). It’s an incredible place for teams since there’s plenty of room. See on Google Maps.
Black Espresso & Vinyl: Music lovers ought to take a look at Black Espresso & Vinyl because it’s a comfortable espresso store that’s additionally a small music retailer that performs some good tunes. See on Google Maps.
The Espresso Collective: The Espresso Collective is a must-visit for all you espresso nerds. The award-winning espresso is recent roasted and baristas are world-class. They’ve 4 places in Copenhagen. See on Google Maps.
Democratic Espresso: One other prime spot in Copenhagen for espresso and pastries. It’s subsequent to a public library so that you’ll discover plenty of individuals buried in a guide whereas having fun with their joe and the chilled out music. See on Google Maps.
Risteriet Espresso Studio: This can be a small espresso store however the espresso is top quality and the environment is nice for enjoyable. See on Google Maps.
The Dwelling Room: Snuggle up on one of many couches or leather-based chairs on this hip, cozy, and quiet cafe. The espresso is good and so are the smoothies and lightweight cafe fare. Additionally they keep open late and serve strong cocktails and play hip music. See on Google Maps.
Prolog Espresso Bar: This small espresso store is situated within the hip meatpacking district. The espresso is top-notch and the baristas know what they’re doing. Additionally they have some strong scorching chocolate and good baked items. See on Google Maps.
Cupenhague: This relative newcomer to the Copenhagen espresso scene makes a fantastic cup of espresso. The environment is snug, quiet, and welcoming. See on Google Maps.
Biking In Copenhagen
Renting Bikes Is Straightforward!
The easiest way to discover Copenhagen is by bike. The town is tremendous bike pleasant so don’t be afraid of making an attempt it your self. Nevertheless, the locals are very critical about biking so learn up on correct hand alerts.
A number of companies all through the town lease bikes — these are an excellent choice if you wish to lease them for a number of days. Simply need a bike for a brief period of time? Take a look at See on Google Maps — Copenhagen’s Metropolis Bike bike-sharing program (the bikes even have GPS!). There are bike stations in all places so checking in and testing bikes is straightforward.
Moreover, you’ll additionally see brilliant orange bikes all through the town from an organization referred to as Donkey Republic — you employ a smartphone app to unlock the bikes. These bikes are in all places and it’s an reasonably priced method to journey bikes.
Getting Round Copenhagen
Copenhagen’s public transportation runs consists of metro, rail, buses, and waterbuses — all of which function on the identical ticket.
Copenhagen transportation is straightforward to make use of. Ticket costs are based mostly on zones however an ordinary ticket covers two zones — which primarily covers all of central Copenhagen. A single-ride ticket prices DKK 24 (for two zones). Word: the airport is situated in Zone Three in order that ticket will value a bit of additional. A 24-hour ticket prices DKK 150.
That stated, Copenhagen is a compact metropolis so you might not end up utilizing public transportation fairly often. We solely used it when going from the airport to the town.
NOTE: Copenhagen’s public transportation has no turnstiles however there are random ticket inspectors who will superb you DKK 750 ($115) in the event you don’t have a legitimate ticket.
We discovered that Google Maps did a reasonably good job of serving to us navigate public transportation so we propose utilizing that.
The Metro consists of two strains (M1 and M2) and runs 24/7. Throughout rush hour, trains come about each three minutes and rather less regularly throughout the remainder of the day. There’s restricted service after midnight nevertheless it’s nonetheless pretty frequent.
Copenhagen is at present increasing its Metro service with a number of new stops nevertheless it’s been plagued with delays. As of now, constructions is deliberate to be accomplished in mid/late 2019.
Most guests in all probability gained’t use the bus however there’s an in depth community to get you across the metropolis. Inside the metropolis, buses arrive round each 5-10 minutes and fewer often after midnight. The simplest method to determine the bus schedules is by way of their on-line Journey Planner.
There’s additionally a ferry that makes six stops alongside the water. The ferry runs from 7 am to eight pm on weekdays and 10 am to eight pm on weekends.
Airport To Metropolis Middle
Nevertheless, for most individuals, the one time they’ll use public transportation is getting from to/from the airport. Fortunately, the airport is definitely related by each Metro and practice. The ticket for each journeys prices DKK 38 and each journeys solely take round 15 minutes.
- By way of Practice: Take the practice if you wish to go to Copenhagen Central Station.
- By way of Metro: In case your vacation spot isn’t close to the practice station then it is best to take the Metro and get off on the cease nearest your lodging.
- By way of Bus: The bus takes quite a bit longer so we advocate sticking with the practice or metro.
- By way of Taxi: Taxis are costly in order that they’ll run you about 300 DKK for a experience into central Copenhagen.
Extra Useful Journey Assets
No Humorous Enterprise
We need to be absolutely clear that this submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. Meaning we obtain a small fee in the event you make a purchase order after clicking the hyperlink — it doesn’t value you something additional and it helps help the location.
Thanks For The Help! — Susan and James
Questions? Study extra about our Strict Promoting Coverage and How To Help Us.